Friday, March 7, 2014

Are APEX destructibles really worth it?

Are APEX destructibles really worth it? Well, it depends on what you're doing. See, in my level I have cargo crates that are supposed to be destroyed when you run into them. Problem is, the APEX version I created causes the car to come to a complete halt when ya run into them. Also, there is a trigger applied to it so if you rotate the thing, the trigger stays where it is. According to all the info on UDN, this should work but it isn't.

The good news is I think I've found a pretty simple workaround for this. Since it's made out of planks of wood, I can simply make one plank of wood, build a crate out of it, make all the planks of wood kactors, and turn that into a prefab instead! There is considerably less lag than the APEX and it looks more like a wooden crate exploding. Granted, the wooden planks themselves don't crack or splinter, but they do all fly away and the car is barely harmed by them.

Here's a comparison between the two methods:

No comments:

Post a Comment