Friday, September 19, 2014

I have built my first multiplayer FPS Level!


Yup, it's all done! There are a few differences between this version and my concept version. Mainly, all the barriers and the four main blocks in the level move down every 20 seconds, wait 10, and then go back up! So you can get a rocket boost from the vertical movement of the blocks as well as a temporary vantage point over a good 1/3rd of the map!

My main focous, besides simple/tight design, was to translate how it felt to play on my favorite Battle Mode map from Mario Kart, Block Fort, to a different genre of game. Judging by the feedback I've seen while testing it on the LAN, it's been quite successful!

Also, I figured out how to do one-sided collision on objects in UE4! I wanted this so that you can spawn, leave the area, and cannot come back in! Here's how you do it: When you make your mesh in Maya, the side that the face normals are facing will be the barrier side, the side that it isn't facing will be the side that you can go through. When you have it the way you want, import it into UE4 like normal! Now, double-click on the mesh to open it's properties. Now make sure that you set it's collision to "Use complex collision as simple" Place the mesh in your level and bam! One-sided collision on meshes! The cool part is that you can shoot through one side and not the other! You could use this technique to make a temporary shield or those 2D platforms where you jump through the bottom and land on top! Yes, it's simple but I couldn't find any tutorials on it anywhere so that makes it noteworthy in my book!

Turns out that multiplayer FPS shooters are more fun than I initially thought! Although, I'd only like to play them with good friends if we are making and testing custom maps. Lets me focus away from dying constantly.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment