Now, this isn't a typical toy per-se. It's more like the next level of a game mechanic: One that you use like you'd use a toy.
This is literally first draft work, but here's a few of the ideas I've been writing down:
1. Manipulate your environment to proceed. (With Psychokenisis)
Remember Silver from Sonic 06? Well, what would it be like if the psychokenesis aspect of his game design was fully realized? Basically that.
2. Response game where the way to word your response matters.
As a kid I'd play old school point-and-click adventure games where there would be like, three bogous fluff responses to a character and one obvious plot progressing response. What if all the responses were the same but the inflection, tone, and overall subtle delivery of a statement was what mattered? Just like in real life conversation!
3. Conquer enemy pieces by surrounding an enemy piece (Pieces) with your pieces.
I'm mainly thinking of how flOw or some board games work: Where you can take an enemy piece by first surrounding it to an acceptable degree.
4. Why not going fast? Could a non-SEGA game out-do Sonic on his constant speed vs platform balancing act? There's definitely a market for it..
Basically, a game that gave you that thrill of true speed that is not a platformer. (Yes, racing counts, but only if it's done right)
5. Climbing. Up walls, ladders, around spiral mountains. I just feel like climbing.
Ice Climbers stage from Melee, anyone?
6. Traversing a level to activate a machine, then chase down that machine!!
You spend your time solving a puzzle to advance the game only to have the goal start racing out of the level! You must use your knowledge of the map to quickly get to the goal! It would be an interesting pace shift.
7. Imagine four platforms arranged in a square. Now imagine that that square is moving forward on rails. Now you must navigate forward by hinging and unhinging the four platforms to keep the square moving forward.
This is a little complicated, but think a Jacob's Latter contraption that you must manipulate on rails.
8. Musically timed levels. Think that one factory level in Donkey Kong Country Returns.
This level is one of the few that really stuck with me long after finishing the game. I wanna see this used more often! I see so many music levels that use it as a motif rather than an integral part of the level's design.
9. Eating really fast! Like, you press a button to collect items. Like in Smash Bros!
I'm hungry.
10. Being able to determine the direction of gravity on a whim.
I think I saw this in a game demo recently. Could make for some real Bayonetta-type action!
I'll continue to mull over these mechanics to pick which one would be best.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment