Saturday, February 1, 2014

LET DEATHBALL BEGIN!!

Welcome to...
wow, such chrome..
So I've been playing around with Kismet some more and built a quick little physics-based racing trap appropriately called Deathball Arena! I'm still working out audio in UDK so you might wanna mute the vid..


You get the idea, drive past some spike traps through a torrent of 'deathball' physics objects to the rings! If this were in an actual game, I should've paced the introduction of each object so the player had time to comprehend the differences between each object. But for the sake of this demo, I kinda wanted it to be a clusterjam.

Deathball Arena inside UDK's editor.
Some people have asked me if I created the track out of UDK brushes. I didn't. I modeled the whole track in Maya and then imported it as a single model into UDK. It's the same thing I did with my level test track(video of that coming as soon as my level pitch is done!)

Lots and lots of path nodes!
Here's the spawner I have in place for the 'deathballs' Basically, it says to populate each type of 'deathball' randomly along each path node at a set pace. That way the frame rate doesn't get overloaded!

Awe-yeah! Damage by velocity!
The damage is dealt based on the velocity of the object upon collision with the car. The downside to my setup is that I can't really specify the different types of balls to cause different amounts of damage. In hindsight, I should've had a set of nodes and trigger volume for each type of 'deathball' so I could specify damage by touch plus the velocity which would make this demo my kind of hard!

But that's for another day..

See ya soon!
Awesome music be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment