Wednesday, September 25, 2013

It's not just good game design, its getting people to percieve it as good game design.

Every now and then I wanna touch upon certain quotes by game designers that absolutely intrigue me. Today, it is a quote given in an interview by Shigeru Miyamoto to theguardian.com:

"...it's important to understand all the mechanisms in games, otherwise the movement or the gameplay would not be right. If that is good, then it will be evaluated as a good game."

For me, the problem that I loose the most sleep over is: "Well, what IS good(great even?) game design?"

To get there, I break it down.

I am finding it increasingly beneficial to create a list of things that people look for/take into account when they are evaluating whether a game they play is 'good' or 'bad'
So far, I find it starts with creating a game that I would like to play based on my own experiences and then expanding that game to include elements that people look for to consider my game as, 'good' Ergo it will be popular, ergo it will sell.

For example: Stellar controls. Probably one of the more paramount ones, stellar controls really show your prowess as a game developer and allows the player to really experience your game rather then getting stuck on not being able to freakin' go anywhere. Nintendo finds this aspect of their games so important that their RnD teams spend the first year of development solely on the control. Also, the control for each game is recreated from the ground up every single time.
Because of this(and several other reasons), I find that Nintendo has hardcore skill. Ergo, they make great games.

This is but one aspect of 'good' games that I am making a point to discover and compile here on the blog! What's an aspect that you look for in 'good' games? Ring me up in the comments! I'll check back when I post next!

Fun Fact: The levels in Super Mario Galaxy were based on hakoniwa, miniature Japanese gardens:
They made modular kits for all the planets. It proved to be extremely difficult to realize, but the results are legendary!
Moral: Too complex? Simplify!

No comments:

Post a Comment