Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Wonderful Funderful World of Textures!! (In UDK)

So! I put one of my assets into UDK for the first time today and it was AMAZING!!

(Sorry I don't have a pic of it, Windows doesn't let me capture a timed screen. I'm working on it!)

Pardon my geeking out. See, I do all my PC gaming on a Macbook Pro so I'm used to the graphics on all the games I play looking like they're running off a Nintendo 64. So you go from Maya, where your textures look like you taped them on, to adding a Normal and Spec map as well PLUS doing this on one of the most powerful PC's commercially available in UDK, well...

It's amazing.

Oh! I had the fortune of attending a seminar by Steve Hickner this past week. (For those of you not yet in the know, he's a director at Dreamworks!) His main emphasis was timing. Now, he was talking about animated films but I wonder if that same sort of exact timing can be achieved in gaming. I think it can and I have had it happen to me before by accident. You'd have to factor in a timed scenario that accounts for a random variable. Very exciting! I gotta look into this more!

Welp, I gotta get cracking if I'm gonna meet my deadline! (BTW, it's this Friday!) Lot's of sexiness after then!

Cheers!! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment